WordPress Widget King RSS
It´s Sunday again … well, time to spam the Net with another wild King Widget. It took me some time to figure out what i could do to an RSS Widget to make it a little more geek-orientated.
Last night i found the solution. I got inspired by a WordPress RSS Plugin made by the SimplePie Team. The Plugin did not threw me of my chair but SimplePie provides a pretty neat looking RSS-Feed-Mangeling – Class which i instinctivly had to check. The time was well spend and the SimplePie RSS class is really doing a good job.
Anyway enough of those boring "under the hood"-details, you came here for an RSS Widget. King RSS allows you to have a different looking feed in every widget. It has HTML fields with placeholders (%title% / %link% ..) to configure the feed title information and each feed list item. If course you also have some switches to play with, there is an Ad-Stripper, a caching mechanism, configurable feed text length, No. of feed items …go check the features.
Before i forget, you can also use a feed function inside your template (Documentation comming soon).
- NEW: Remote Version Check.
- Bugfixes: Problems when displaying only in a special category/Area, faulty stripads call. Thanks to Vidal
initial Version 0.5
- HTML Fields which take template Code for displaying the RSS. Those fields have placeholders for:
- RSS Feed Title Information: Site URL / Feed Image /RSS URL / RSS Icon
- RSS Item Stuff: author / categories / date / link / text
- Configurable feed item date with php time syntax
- Configurable feed item text length or full article
- No. of feed items to display
- Switch to default settings
- Configurable Error Message when feed can´t be reached
- strip ads out of the feed (google / Doubleklick / pheedo)
- Caching mechanism with option to clear cache folder (there´s is no cachetime field, because SimplePie is working on a better fetching)
– function to use inside your templates (indipenditly from widget)
- HTML fields to customize HTML before/after widget
- Fully localizable with gettext Translation (German Translation included in framework)
- Set on which Website Area to show the Widget. Options are:
- show "NOT on special page area" which can be combined with "Show in Category" (List/Article)
- show on Home / Search / Archive / Author or 404 page
- show on all or special single Page. You can set the id or slug of the Page where to show
- show on all or special single Article You can set the id or slug of the Article where to show
- show on all or special Category Listing You can set the id of the Category where to show
- Show if inside a Category (with ID). For Category Listings and also Articles
You find all Options explained in the WordPress Codex in Conditional Tags make sure to definitly read this if you are using those Options!
- based on the king widget framework
Screenshot / Screencast
English Admin Screens
German Admin Screens
- Whatever you might suggest…
Of course you should have wordpress widgets installed and activated. If not, you can find the download and install instructions over at automattic.com
- Copy king-rss.php into your plugins widget folder -> where your widgets.php is !!!
- Copy the widget Framework in /king-includes into /plugins (need new version from 18.06.2006)!!
- activate in Pluginarea.
- Drag the King RSSWidget on one of your sidebars, set default Options first and then play with it.
- Your Cache folder MUST have write Permissions depending on your server (777). I´m using the same cache folder like WordPress, in "wp-content/cache/" , so in most cases the permissions should already be set.
I did not had the opportunity to test all kinds of RSS Feeds. Therefore there might be some hidden Bugs or more needed features.
Atm don´t have the time to write an extensive tutorial. If you are a total beginner in html and wordpress you probably just want to use the original wp rss widget. If you still want to try i made a default switch to give you a descent start.
If you want to use the RSS Function inside your templates, please stay tuned i´ll document that after i´ll get the first feedback.
I have changed the License. It is not GPL for this widget. You are free to use it in private and charity enviroment. If you are using it for commercial purposes please contact me for a little licence fee and enhanced support.
Please don´t hesitate to give me a feedback if this is usefull or if you think you found a bug!