WordPress Plugin: Wordspew Ajax LiveChat eXtended
We are using the Wordspew Live ChatBox Plugin by Andrew Sutherland for quite a time now, but somehow i was missing some functionality. I made some big enhancements in the WordPress LiveChat-Backoffice, added User-Capabilities and provided gettext translation from Version 1.18 on.
If you don´t know this plugin, this adds a Live Chat Box to your WordPress Site, like seen on this site, my Testing Site, or Live on the frisbeeblog.de (Please don´t post Bullsh.. there). Normally it is put inside the sidebar.
Screenshoots of the Backoffice
Admin Manage Postings Area
Admin Options Area
Version 1.18 (01.07.2006)
This Version is only for WordPress 2.0! This is because i adapted the new User Capabilities System for the backoffice.
The other big enhancement is the Gettext – Translation for better translation into you native language. Download comes with German translation only. Please feel free to translate. I´ll put it here on the site too.
Changelog from Version 1.17 to 1.18
1. Now uses the new Capabilities + Group System of WordPress 2.0 -> You can choose a Group which is allowed to edit the ChatBox entries.
1.a You can also use the RoleManager Plugin by Owen Winkler to give the Edit + Admin rights to a Group or check Who has which rights.
2. New Capabilitiy: AdminLiveChat -> is allowed to edit Entries + Change System Settings in Options Panel, Defaults to the Administrator-Role.
3. New Capabilitiy: EditLiveChat -> is allowed to edit entries, Defaults to the Editor-Role.
4. Language File -> gettext Translation file, you can translate all Textstrings freely now!
5. Customizable String for the Frontpage if a User is not logged in. (ex. "Please log in to post" )
6. Validated HTML of Backoffice
This Plugin is maily for WordPress 1.5 x but also Works with WordPress Version 2.0. This is because in WP2 you have also implemented the old Users Levels from 0 – 10, for backward Capabilities.
Changelog from original Wordspew Version 1.16 to 1.17
i made the following changes mainly to the LiveChat Adminarea.
1. Separated the Options Page and Edit Message Page
2. Admin Page Cleanup
3. Admin Page new Option to set User Level to Edit / Delete Postings
4. Admin Page new Option to set the number of Postings
5. Installation and Admin Options Page now only visible to Super Admin (Level 10)
6. Edit Page Cleanup
7. Multiple Posting Delete on Edit Page
8. Stuff you don´t see: Some Code Cleanup + phpDocumentor Comments for functions
1. Read the Readme.txt
1.Only install Version 1.18 if you are running WordPress 2.0 !! if you accidentially installed on older WordPress, just copy the wordspew.php from Version 1.17 over installed version.
2.Read the Readme.txt text it should be no Problem to upgrade from 1.17 or jalenack wordspew 1.16 or previous versions like said in the readme.
The Version 1.18 Download includes the german mo + po files. if you want to translate your own and don´t know how to just gimme a comment for now .. i´ll explain in another artikel on how to handle translations.
Please backup your files and Database so you can perform a rollback.
Please give me a feedback if you run into problems or give me a note if you need other functions.
The translation zip´s contain the mo and po version. Thank you very much for your Files!!!
Danish Translation done by Marlene Karecki from karecki.dk
Spanish Translation done by Neil from http://neil.apalankada.net